Library News ~ October 8, 2015
Heyworth Public Library brings expanded access to e-books to the community through the eRead Illinois Program
Heyworth Public Library, in addition to its OverDrive eBook collection, is also participating in the eRead Illinois Program, designed to increase access to e-books across Illinois. Illinois Heartland Library System and Reaching Across Illinois Library System have partnered with the Illinois State Library and Baker & Taylor to provide this access. eRead Illinois is a two year statewide program designed to increase access to e-books for Illinois residents and grow e-book expertise among library staff, library system staff, and Illinois residents. Initial funding for eRead Illinois was provided by a grant from Secretary of State and State Librarian Jesse White through the Illinois State Library.
Axis 360 is a digital media platform, providing libraries and their patrons with a state-of-the-art system for circulating digital e-books from the eRead Illinois shared collection for Illinois libraries. Patrons at libraries participating in eRead Illinois can access the cloud-based delivery across a number of devices including iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows, NOOK® and Sony ReaderTM devices, and many more. Look for the free Axis 360 App on your device and use your Heyworth Library Card and pin to access up to 5 eBooks at a time. The app also provides the ability to create wish lists to read in the future and holds.
“RAILS selected Baker & Taylor’s Axis 360 platform for the eRead Illinois grant because of the breadth and depth of available titles, the flexibility of options to meet the diverse needs of our libraries across Illinois and the ADA compliance of the Baker & Taylor Axis 360 app. Equal access for all users in RAILS member libraries is very important to us,” said Dee Brennan, Executive Director of Reaching Across Illinois Library System. “
Additional information on how to access both eRead apps, the eRead Illinois shared collection and OverDrive, can be found at your Heyworth Public Library. Don’t forget about our free music app Freegal. You can download 3 free songs every week, which you keep forever. We are so much larger than our walls!
- Family Story Time, Thursdays at 6:15 p.m.
- 45 minute program running through October 22
- This evening is geared for pre-school through first grade, however the whole family is welcome to join in on the fun. Come explore, participate in art, and enjoy stories.
- After School Movies, 3:20 p.m. every Friday the library is open
- Bring a friend and your own snack! All drinks need to have a screw on cap – no juice pouches or cans please.
- Heyworth Knitters and crafters, 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month, 6:30 p.m. -7:30 p.m.
- We are thrilled to offer knitters and crafters a space to create and socialize! This group is very willing to teach anyone who would like to learn to knit. We have yarn, instructions for beginning project, and needles to get you started on a new hobby. If you want to learn how to knit you must sign up to attend, so our group can have all you need ready for the evening. If you are a knitter or a crafter looking to socialize with others in our area, just show up as your schedule allows. Available to anyone 4th grade and up.
- 3rd Randolph Township History Symposium, “History in Your Own Backyard”, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- RSVP by October 19
- Monday Evening Book Club, 4th Mondays at 6:30 p.m.
- October title – Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
- We are always seeking new people to join us! Give us a try, we have a friendly talkative bunch. It’s a great way to meet new people in town. Books in regular and large print available, as well as audiobook, at the library for checkout, stop in and get yours today.
- Would you like to start your own book club with a group of friends? We can help with book selection, and loaning books needed for your group. Start a book club in your neighborhood today! Stop by and ask for details.
- Lego Block Party, 4th Tuesday of each month at 3:30 p.m.
- November and December will be the 3rd Tuesday due to holidays.
- Afterschool snack, Lego games, and creative building. Sign up at the library. 1st grade – 8th grade.
- Heyworth History Club, 4th Wednesday mornings at 10:30 a.m.
- All are welcome to join us in collecting and preserving Randolph Township history. If you are interested, but can’t make a morning meeting, please let Beth Porter or Lona Soice know your interest and evenings available.
- Halloween Trick or Treat at the Library, 5 p.m. – 7:45 p.m.
- All kids receive a free book.
For all programs and more, see our website at heyworthlibrary.com.
Items the library collects for our community:
- Coupons for military families overseas
- Box Tops for Education coupons/Campbell soup labels/Tyson Chicken product labels
- Coca-Cola product bottle caps and reward coupons off of cases of Coca-Cola products
- HP ink cartridges